It’s hard enough to squeeze a physical workout into our busy days. How to add time for our spiritual side? Try this: combine the two.
Here are five ways:
- Start with Right Motive. Affirm your intent to combine the physical and spiritual before you begin exercising. I like this affirmation: “Let my spirit and body move in concert.”
- Breathe slowly and deeply. ‘Inspire’ originally meant to breathe in the Spirit. As you inhale and exhale, say to yourself, “I release all negative toxins of anxiety, fear, impatience.”
- Open your fists. While you walk or run, keep your hands open to signify your willingness to surrender to your life as it unfolds moment by moment.
- Add a word. Repeat a mantra word over and over while you exercise. It could be secular (Peace, Love) or from your religious heritage. (Jesus, Mercy. God be praised.)
- Exercise outdoors when you can. “Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees,” wrote naturalist John Muir.
These ideas are from my book, Meditation in Motion. To view on Amazon, go to link: